Skip to main content

Radical Kindness

Ever heard of Kid President? This is his quote. :)

Kindness Matters

Have you ever been cut off in traffic? Called a name by a classmate? Have you ever been purposely left out or ignored? Do you have an inconsiderate co-worker? Or a family member that makes you feel inferior?

When I was a kid, my my dad would tell me "Just kill them with kindness, Kristy." This advice changed my life. At first my motives behind my actions on this were more harsh than kind. I wanted to get back at them. But, the longer I've used my dad's advice the less harsh my motives have become because I've seen the proof of the power of this Biblical truth: Kindness changes hearts and minds.  

You say, "Yeah, Kristy. It's not that easy. Showing kindness is really hard when someone has hurt you." And I'll say right back, "I totally agree!" Being kind to an offender is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Honestly, I can't say that it gets any easier each time it's required. But I do know the closer you are to Jesus, the less your human instincts take over and the more the Holy Spirit rules your reactions. 

I'm not usually the type of person who will lash out or yell back when tempers rage. But, in the past, I've been really good at ignoring, thinking ill thoughts of, and even shunning people who have hurt me. I still fight those carnal reactions when I am hurt. It's really hard for me not to let bitterness rule my thoughts, words, and actions toward someone who has offended me. That's human nature but it's also NO EXCUSE for a Believer. I don't want to be ruled by my sin. I want the kindness of Christ to rule in my heart. Jesus's kindness is radical and I want it. I want it enough that I'll risk being called strange or weird. Why? Because that's what Jesus did for me when he died on the cross. It was strange. It was weird. It was radical. And it was the ultimate definition of kindness.

If we are going to live out the radical kindness of Jesus, there are three areas of our lives that we have to be sure we let kindness soak into. If we are missing kindness in one of these areas, we can count ourselves as lacking.

1.  Radical kindness requires kind actions. 


This is pretty much a no-brainer. You can't be a kind person without showing kindness. 

Jesus wouldn't be our Savior if he just came to see about the horrible condition we sinners were in. He didn't just come to scope out the situation and feel sorry for us. He came to SAVE us. And that required action. 

Our part in showing the world the amazing love of God requires action. "If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18

Christ's death on the cross was definitely not a random act but it was an act done for the undeserving. I did nothing to deserve eternity in heaven. As a matter of fact, I've done EVERYTHING that should keep me separated from God. But Jesus still died for me. If this doesn't call you to kind action, I'm not sure anything will.

2. Radical kindness requires kind words.


"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." This is a big ol' lie! Really, words sometimes hurt way worse than physical pain. If you've been alive for more than a minute you've probably experienced the pain that words can inflict. 

Humans have gotten really good at coming up with different ways to twist words where they create damaging thoughts and feelings in the mind of the listener. We've figured out ways to say things just right and even leave out certain things to where implications are all that's needed to receive the intended hurtful message. And then, when the inflict-er is confronted, they can deny any such negative message was sent because of their crafty way of communicating. This is wrong.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29

Our words matter. Our motives matter. Jesus was very careful with His words and we should be too. If you aren't sure how you will be received, wait. Pray about it. Maybe seek advice from someone you trust and then after prayer and counsel, decide if you should speak. 

Sometimes the kindest thing we can say, is nothing at all. And that's ok.


3. Radical kindness requires kind thoughts.


"Ummm...why? No one can hear my thoughts. So how can my thoughts hurt someone else if I keep them to myself? " This is you talking. I know because I said the same thing.

Phil. 4:8 says, "Whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things."

Actually, all kindness - and unkindness - begins here. In our thoughts. When we allow ourselves to think unkind thoughts, we are letting poison into our minds and bodies. Not only does this negative thinking affect us mentally but physically as well. Stress hormones respond to our negative thoughts and cause many different adverse reactions in our bodies.

Not to mention, "Thoughts become words. Words become actions. Actions become your destiny." -Unknown

It all hinges on our thoughts. If we can change our thinking we can change our lives. Can you do it alone? No, but with the help of God and His Word you can!

Kindness Resources for the Classroom

Since kindness is so important and can change hearts and lives, I believe as a teacher, I should be intentional about teaching kindness in my classroom. Here are some resources I use to teach kindness to my kindergartners:






Comments